Western Force captain Jeremy Williams has expressed his devastation after the club's Super Rugby Pacific finals aspirations were once again extinguished, following a heartbreaking defeat to the Highlanders in Dunedin.
Another Season of What Might Have Been
The Force entered the match with their postseason destiny in their own hands, needing a victory to keep their semifinal hopes alive. However, a 27-24 loss at Forsyth Barr Stadium on Saturday night has left the Perth-based outfit rueing what could have been a historic campaign.
Williams, who has been a standout performer for the Force this season, was visibly shattered after the final whistle. "It's incredibly tough to take," the captain said. "We put ourselves in a position to control our own fate, and we came up short. It hurts deeply, especially for this group of players who have worked so hard."
A Season of Progress
Despite the disappointment, the Force showed significant improvement in 2024, winning seven matches—their best return since re-entering the competition in 2020. The team had been in contention for a finals berth until the final round, a testament to the progress under coach Simon Cron.
"We've taken steps forward as a club," Williams added. "But we're not satisfied with just being competitive. We want to be playing in the finals, and it stings that we've missed out again."
The Deciding Moments
The match against the Highlanders was a tight affair, with the lead changing hands multiple times. The Force fought back from a 10-point deficit to level the scores at 24-24 with less than 10 minutes remaining. However, a penalty goal from Highlanders flyhalf Cam Millar in the 73rd minute proved to be the difference.
"There were moments in that game where we had control, but we let it slip," Williams reflected. "Credit to the Highlanders, they took their chances. But we'll look back at some key errors that cost us."
Future Outlook
With the season now over, the Force will turn their attention to retaining key players and building for 2025. Williams, who is contracted until the end of next year, is determined to lead the club to its first finals appearance since 2015.
"We have a strong core here, and we're building something special," he said. "This disappointment will fuel us in the off-season. We'll come back hungrier and more determined than ever."
The Force finished the regular season in eighth place on the Super Rugby Pacific ladder, just two points adrift of the top six. The result means Australian teams have now missed the finals for the third consecutive year, with the Brumbies and Reds both failing to advance.



