PM Albanese hints at possible World Cup trip to US amid political pressure
PM Albanese hints at possible World Cup trip to US

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has not ruled out a high-stakes trip to North America next month for the FIFA World Cup, a move that could spark critical sideline diplomatic meetings with US President Donald Trump and Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney.

Quizzed directly by 7NEWS on whether he was actively drawing up travel plans to attend the blockbuster football tournament, a guarded Prime Minister offered a classic political straight-bat.

“We’ll wait and see,” Albanese told 7NEWS.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

The Socceroos have been drawn in Group D, with their highly anticipated opening match scheduled against Turkey in Vancouver on Saturday, June 13.

But it is Australia’s second group-stage fixture that is generating geopolitical intrigue: a massive clash against tournament hosts the USA in Seattle. It is there that Albanese could possibly sit in the stands alongside President Trump, a moment where sport and diplomacy would collide.

Domestic pressures weigh on PM

One problem: the Labor leader is facing severe domestic pressure at home, battling a fierce public and political backlash to his latest federal budget tax measures.

“We’ll wait and see what happens, but at the moment my travel is restricted to running around Australia ... making sure the measures we have put in place in the budget are explained,” Anthony Albanese told 7NEWS in Perth earlier in the week.

“But let me say this, whenever Australia competes on the world stage all Australians back our country. We’ll be backing the Socceroos when it comes to the World Cup which is one of the greatest events together with the Olympics.”

Football boss speaks on political support

The speculation comes as newly appointed Football Australia CEO Martin Kugeler tells 7NEWS political podcast The Issue that high-level political backing on the ground would provide a significant boost to both the national team and Australia’s relationship with its closest ally.

“I think sport and politics work hand in hand together,” Kugeler said in The Issue’s latest episode. “We want everyone to join and support the Socceroos and take up the opportunity to meet other nations there. Sport in these kinds of environments, I think, opens doors for certain conversations to happen, but I’ll leave that up to the politicians.”

Grassroots funding crisis deepens

The new football chief is playing a diplomatic game of his own after football was snubbed in the recent Federal Budget. The governing body had been lobbying for urgent funding injections for junior players amid reports children are being turned away from playing.

The world game also wanted $50 million to build a new national headquarters and high-performance training centre in Sydney but was unsuccessful.

Kugeler, who grew up in football-mad Germany and has a background in streaming and TV, stopped short of accusing successive Australian governments of outright ignoring the beautiful game in favour of heavy funding allocations to traditional domestic powerhouses like the NRL and AFL.

“I wouldn’t say ignore, I know there are a lot of politicians who are fans of football and that’s great,” Kugeler told The Issue. “We acknowledge that in Australia we are also in tough times and everyone has to look where and how to spend the money. Having said that, infrastructure is a critical issue for us, particularly for kids. It’s sad to hear when clubs have to turn kids away who want to join and want to play.”

Live sites for the World Cup

Despite internal challenges, Kugeler insisted “the sky is the limit” for the Socceroos’ upcoming World Cup campaign.

While Group D has avoided the dreaded “Group of Death” label, matching up against Turkey, Paraguay, and the USA presents an evenly balanced, high-stakes path to the knockout rounds.

For fans remaining at home, major public live sites are being finalised to capture the energy that defined the code’s recent tournament runs.

The Football Australia CEO is glad that a live site will go ahead at Federation Square in Melbourne after an initial ban was overturned by Jacinta Allan’s government.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration

“I’m a fan so I feel for the fans, and I know how important the experience is to watch football together with your friends,” Kugeler says. “We’ve obviously asked the other states and territories to also put live sites up and there’s a lot of planning going on at the moment.”