The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) government has taken a significant step towards addressing housing affordability and supply by approving new 'missing middle' housing laws. The changes, which were passed by the ACT Legislative Assembly earlier this year, received final approval from the Minister for Planning and Land Management on Friday.
What Are the 'Missing Middle' Housing Laws?
The term 'missing middle' refers to medium-density housing options such as townhouses, duplexes, and small apartment blocks that sit between detached houses and high-rise towers. The new laws aim to facilitate the development of these types of housing in established suburbs, making it easier for developers to build up to three storeys high in areas zoned for single-family homes.
Under the changes, homeowners will be able to subdivide their land and build multiple dwellings without needing to go through a lengthy rezoning process. This is expected to increase housing supply and provide more diverse housing choices for Canberra residents.
Key Features of the New Laws
- Streamlined approvals: The new rules allow for 'as-of-right' development, meaning certain medium-density projects can proceed without a development application if they meet specific criteria.
- Increased density: Properties in RZ1 zones (single residential) can now have up to three dwellings, including townhouses and apartments, subject to design standards.
- Design guidelines: The laws include strict design requirements to ensure new developments are compatible with existing neighbourhood character, including setbacks, building height limits, and landscaping.
- Community input: Residents will still have opportunities to provide feedback on larger projects through the development application process.
Impact on Canberra's Housing Market
The ACT government has been under pressure to address housing affordability, with median house prices in Canberra surpassing $1 million. The 'missing middle' reforms are part of a broader strategy to increase housing supply and choice.
Planning Minister Mick Gentleman said the changes would help create more livable, walkable neighbourhoods. "These reforms will allow more Canberrans to live in well-designed medium-density housing close to shops, public transport, and employment hubs," he said.
However, some community groups have expressed concerns about potential impacts on neighbourhood character and infrastructure. The government has pledged to monitor the implementation and make adjustments if necessary.
Reactions from Stakeholders
The Property Council of Australia welcomed the approval, stating it would boost housing supply and affordability. "This is a common-sense reform that cuts red tape and delivers more homes for Canberra's growing population," said ACT Executive Director Ashleigh Herbert.
Conversely, the ACT Greens have raised concerns about the lack of mandatory affordable housing requirements in the new laws. They argue that without such provisions, the reforms may fail to address the needs of low-income households.
The new laws are expected to come into effect within the next few months, with the government planning to release detailed guidance for homeowners and developers.



