Low risk to public after Mayfield fire clean-up continues: MP
Low risk to public after Mayfield fire clean-up continues

Newcastle MP Tim Crakanthorp has moved to reassure Mayfield residents this weekend as crews continue remediation and mop-up operations following a fire that ripped through a business in the suburb earlier this week.

Mr Crakanthorp said online that small fragments of debris had been found in the streets surrounding the immediate scene near Denison Street, as well as further afield in Texas and Waratah streets.

"I was out door-knocking the area today, making sure all the residents are okay, safe, and up to date," Mr Crakanthorp said on Friday afternoon.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

"The risk to community following the fire on May 18 is believed to be low."

"There is ongoing clean-up and assessment of public spaces, there will be a mix of day and night works which will continue across the weekend and into next week."

He advised residents who find debris in yards or near their homes not to touch it, but to contact the City of Newcastle council or the NSW Environmental Protection Agency.

"There is no one way that these fragments may appear, but in this instance, they may have either a fairy floss or wool texture, or a plasterboard-type texture," he said online.

Firefighters and other emergency services rushed to the scene about 3.30pm on Monday, where they found a whitegoods business engulfed in flames.

Dozens of firefighters fought to contain the blaze, which officers said was not suspicious.

Up to 1500 customers had their electricity cut off during the firefighting effort, but most had power restored within a couple of hours.

NSW Ambulance confirmed that two people had been assessed at the scene, and residents who had been exposed to smoke were advised to seek medical attention.

Mr Crakanthorp said the City of Newcastle had taken over as the lead agency coordinating the response on Friday.

NSW Police said on Saturday evening that the immediate scene had been relinquished to the insurer, effectively closing their inquiries.

Mr Crakanthorp advised residents who find debris nearby to contact the EPA on 131 555.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration